Wednesday, April 30, 2008

being Green without knowing it

In this essay

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/magazine/20wwln-lede-t.html?ex=1366516800&en=4c931d0a068a2a1a&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Michael Pollan argues the benefits of gardening. Currently I don't think a lot of Americans garden. But I know that most Armenians do, and by doing that they are helping the environment. My apartment building is surrounded by small, family gardens where they grow many food staples. I don't think most Armenians are thinking about their carbon footprint, but garden to support their families. I think we in the more developed, western countries have a lot to learn from other countries that not considered as developed, but maybe do less damage to the enviroment than we do, and are probably Green without knowing it. I hope to pick up some gardening skills from Armenian friends and take them back to America with me.

2 comments:

Lily said...

Teach me how to garden!

David Cox said...

Sorry, but I can't resist playing devil's advocate here. Do Armenians have a cow, goat, or donkey on their property? Do they mend their garden with gas powered tools? Did they cut down any trees to plant a garden? Do they use any pesticides or take their produce to a market? Do they prepare their food with electric powered devices (stove, oven, mixer) in order to eat it? If they can answer yes to 2 or more of these questions then it is more than likely that their carbon footprint is still greater than their attempts at being ignorantly "green" lol, I would still like a garden myself though :)